Tuesday 29 May 2012

Cleansers V Micellar Waters

Micellar waters have so much hype surrounding them lately. They're quick and easy to use and you dont even need to use water. I've tried a few from different brands and I have to say I just dont see the appeal. Yes, they're handy when you dont have access to water but I find them more annoying than convenient.

In my mind you cant beat a proper cleanse with a good cleanser and water. With micellar water I find myself using endless amounts of cotton pads and chasing make up around my face for what seems like forever. Really all I'm doing is smearing suface dirt/make up all over my skin, much like with face wipes. I've tried a few of the overly hyped Micellar waters and still I dont see whats so amazing about them?

No matter what brand I've tried I'm always left with skin that feels tacky to the touch, a mountain of used cotton pads, and a face that just doesnt feel clean. My moisturiser feels awful on top of it and when I cleanse the next morning theres still traces of make up. I can understand using micellar water as a make up remover before cleansing but using it as a cleanser makes me gag at the thought.

Micellar waters arent all bad though, they're good to have if you're travelling and dont have access to water like on a plane or long car journey but other than that...
Not a Micellar water in sight
 
So as I'm sure you can guess, cleansers are a clear winner for me. The title of this post is a little misleading because as far as I'm concerned micellar waters dont even compare. I know I'm not alone in my dislike of micellar waters, if you dont like them then why not? Is it only me who doesnt feel clean after using them? This post isnt ment to offend anyone, if you love Micellar water then great. Different folks, different strokes.

10 comments:

  1. Agree with this post 100%. The find Micellar such a pain to use and would much rather have a good old fashion clean of the face. I also hate using a 100 cotton pads just to take off my make up, my face ends up feeling sore. Have you got reviews on these cleansers? I loved to know what you think of them espcially the Elemis one. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've reviewed Cleanse & Polish, Barefoot Botanicals and JASON Apricot Scrubble. Love them all. Barefoot Botanicals is a cream cleanser like Cleanse & Polish but a lot lighter and easier to rinse. I've only just started using the Caudalie Instant Foaming Cleanser and the Green & Spring cleanser but will review them both soon. The Caudalie cleanser isnt great at removing makeup but I like using it in the mornings when I'm slap free. The Elemis Tri-Enzyme cleanser cant be used on the eyes so its another one I keep for mornings or evenings when I havent been wearing makeup. I usually use another cleanser to get rid of make up then do a second cleanse with this.

      I had a 30ml sample of a Micellar water, went through it in 3 uses and the amount of cotton pads I had to use was just crazy!
      xo

      Delete
  2. I've never even heard of Micellars before this post, aha. I guess in the same it kind of gives away its a milder form of cleanser, but I do find cleansers to be perfect x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats what made me try them, my skin would flare up after cleansing with water but the ingredients in most micellars along with them not giving a thorough cleanse made my skin feel even worse.

      It might just all be in my head but I dont feel clean if I havent used water.
      xo

      Delete
  3. Love love LOVE Bioderma but only ever use it to remove eye makeup and the bulk of my foundation before a thorough cleanse with a palming cleanser and my Clarisonic. I'd just never feel my skin was cleansed enough if I only used Bioderma - yuck! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you still using Origins Checks & Balances? I've been looking for a foaming cleanser to use in the mornings, went for the Caudalie one but might try Checks & Balances next.

      Yeah they just dont leave me feeling clean, theres always a build up type feeling left on the skin.
      xo

      Delete
  4. I like the waters a lot, but only as makeup removers...Great and hassle free on jobs as well. I feel super clean after using mine but do agree about the amount of cotton pads (annoying)but there's no way I could just not use my cleanser afterwards!! Just wouldn't feel right!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! What water do you use? I really wanted to love them so I wouldnt end up with mascara all over my muslins everynight but I just cant cope with the tacky feeling.
      xo

      Delete
  5. nice cleansers! I'm with you on needing to deep cleanse though I do quite like TAAJ x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted to try TAAJ, I've read a lot of rave reviews about it. If it doesnt work for me then I'll admit defeat and stick to what I know works for me.
      xo

      Delete