Sunday 3 November 2013

My Go-To Make Up Brushes

When I'm wearing make up, I almost always use brushes. I can't stand how grubby my hands and other make up products get if I apply foundation with my fingers. I also like how a brush provides more coverage and buffs out any harsh edges.

For foundation I use either the Sephora Professionnel #45 Mineral Powder Brush or the Real Techniques Buffing Brush. Both do the same job - they buff liquid (or powder) foundation into the skin without leaving any brush strokes behind, they wash well, don't shed, won't break the bank and the bristles are synthetic/taklon.

As most of you know, I'm not that big on eyeshadow so if I'm not applying the likes of MAC Paint Pots I'll use the Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush for sweeping colour over the lid and adding colour in the crease. This brush is also brilliant for blending concealer under the eye's without removing it at the same time. If I've been using the Deluxe Crease Brush for concealer then I obviously don't want to be using it to apply eyeshadow so when this happens I reach for a Hello Kitty brush I got in one of those Liberty/Hello Kitty/Boots collab sets.

The Zoeva 230 Pencil Brush is great for highlighting the inner corner of the eyes, adding eyeshadow along the lower lash line and smudging eyeliner. Zoeva brushes are brilliant! I also love the 106 Powder Brush, it can be used to set foundation with powder, to lightly bronze up the skin or to apply blush. 

I only own one MAC brush, the 187 Stippling Brush and to be honest, I wish I'd never bought it. Unlike the rest of the brushes I own which are a lot more affordable than MAC, it sheds like crazy and has started to splay as you can tell from the photo's. In my opinion it isn't dense enough to apply foundation, all it does is bend around my face. Instead of letting it collect dust I've been using it to apply very shimmery highlighters and sometimes cream blush. The other brush I use for applying highlighter is the Real Techniques Contour Brush which as the name suggests can also be used to contour.

Everyone needs a spoolie for their brows. The one I own is the Rae Morris Angle Brow/Mascara Definer. I use it because I have it but if I had to start over again I would just go for the cheapest spoolie I could find, they do exactly the same job.

All the brushes wash up well without shedding (apart from the MAC 187), don't take forever to dry and return to their original shape. If you're just starting out with brushes you really can't go wrong with Real Techniques and Zoeva. They're both really affordable but Zoeva have the upper hand, you can buy all the brushes separately rather than having to buy them in collections.

Are any of these your go-to brushes?
What's your favourite brush brand?

Follow me: Twitter | Bloglovin' | SheSaidBeauty | Instagram

Have you entered my Paris skin care giveaway?

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the real techniques brushes, i use the buffing brush every day, totally recommend it! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh lovely brushes! I love my Real Techniques brushes :) Really need to try using the deluxe crease brush for undereye concealer. xx

    Pretty Wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great for concealer, I bought the whole set just for that brush.
      xo

      Delete
  4. It's good to know the real techniques brushes are good as I need a new set and was half planning treating myself to a Mac brush. Now I think I will save my money and buy real techniques. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Deluxe Crease Brush & Buffing Brush but they're from 2 separate collections and I don't rate the other brushes that come with them. That's the only bad thing about Real Techniques.
      xo

      Delete
  5. I always hear how amazing the Real Technique brushes are and I really want to try out the core collection :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only brushes I use from the core collection are the Buffing & Contour brushes, the rest in the collection are a bit rubbish to be honest. Still worth buying it just for the Buffing Brush though.
      xo

      Delete